Carbon monoxide alarms activated in parts of building Saturday
St. James, NY (SmithtownRadio.com) – Portions of St. James Healthcare were evacauated Saturday afternoon after carbon monoxide alarms sounded in parts of the building.
The St. James Fire Department responded to the facility, located at 275 Moriches Road, around 1:30p and began moving residents away from areas of the buildings with high levels of the dangerous gas.
Authorities located the source of the gas as a heating system. Crews vented out the building before allowing residents to return about two hours later.
Several area fire departments including the Centereach, Stony Brook, Nesconset, Nissequogue and Smithtown fire departments sent ambulance crews to the scene as a precaution. The fire marshal also responded.
No injuries were reported.